Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Broadcasting from Degrassi Junior High!



Dear Degrassi Junior High Season 1 DVDs,

Wow. This is a moment that I have been waiting to witness for quite some time now. For a while, your episodes were only available on VHS, but I knew that if I waited long enough, my wish would be granted and you would appear on DVD. This, along with a recent bursary from my university that must be run by Satan's henchmen and the fact that no immediate family members have developed any new life-threatening diseases, is surely a sign that 2005 will truly be, as I predicted in December, the year of the Usual Spy.

Degrassi Junior High Season 1 DVDs, I'd like to take you back to a simpler time. A time when I was in first year, and my residence had a dress-up floor crawl. After much agonizing and drinking, my roommate and I decided that the theme of our room would be "the Degrassi Junior High episode where Stephanie gets drunk at Lucy's house before the school dance." We weren't positive as to what specific drink Stephanie gets drunk with, but we were pretty sure that it involved Bailey's, so we made shots of Bailey's and chocolate milk for the whole floor to enjoy. Of course, in the Degrassi episode, Stephanie throws up in the school bathroom. Similarly, that night, many people threw up in the residence bathroom (and, come to think of it, in the hall).

Ah, how life imitates art.

And earlier in my life, when people in high school would watch The Flintstones and Out of This World during lunch, I would only ever watch the two consecutive episodes that ran on Showcase. This is, I feel, a demonstration of my devotion to you. I mean, I gave up watching Out of This World for you! That girl could freeze time, for Christ's sake!

cheers,
the usual spy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Caryl Davies said...

Oh Degrassi! I never really watched you and you know that's okay, I spent most of my child hood playing Nintendo and watching the early episodes of Seinfeld. Degrassi you never had me and you never will!
Muhahahahaha!

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home