Monday, August 07, 2006

Why My Dad Is Cool: Part 1 of a 238 Part Series

Does anyone remember this particular issue of The Globe and Mail?




















Okay, me neither, but that's because I don't read that rag. However, my dad does, and last week his letter to the editor was published! He's famous! Here it is in all its glory:

We, the jury
FRANK STEEVE

Barrie, Ont. -- Marina Strauss (Feeling Trapped By Jury Duty -- July 26) should regard herself as lucky she was not eventually selected for jury duty.

Several years ago, I was chosen for jury duty on a murder trial. Two of the jurors were so stupid that they could not remember the most basic events reported during the trial. Eventually, 10 of us would no longer speak to the other two, who still insisted on a verdict of guilty of premeditated murder although the judge had removed this as an option at the start of the trial.

Since the jury eventually came to the proper verdict of manslaughter, I realize that the jury system worked. A more efficient way to do jury duty would be initial intelligence and memory testing; at least that would speed up the process of jury selection and the jury's final decision.


Ha ha! BURN! He totally burns everyone in this thing!

God damn, give this man an honorary degree or something! He's a hilarious AND a genius!

7 Comments:

Blogger {jeff} said...

So your dad is saying all juries should be white?

...'cause I imagine there would be some socio-economic variables at play in any sort of standardised 'intelligence' testing.

I'm just sayin'.

11:47 AM  
Blogger the usual spy said...

I'm going to assume that you're being sarcastic here. Otherwise, there's so many things wrong with what you just wrote, my head is about to actually explode.

3:33 PM  
Blogger kristianDavid said...

hey, no one disses the Frank on my watch!!! that's just not right! Frank is not just a man, Frank is THE man!

3:42 PM  
Blogger {jeff} said...

*chuckle* I wasn't trying to 'diss' anyone, especially not Frank.

I just wanted to point out the dangers associated with the type of pre-selection IQ testing he seems to be advocating.

11:45 AM  
Blogger the usual spy said...

I think that my dad is "advocating" that people who lack attributes such as basic reason, logic and memory skills should not serve jury duty. If you associate these skills with "white" people, or with people who are at a greater "socio-economic" advantage, then I guess that's a danger that I would like to...what was that you said? Oh yeah, "point out" to you.

6:09 PM  
Blogger {jeff} said...

Again, I'm not trying to attack anyone personally here.

I just wanted to open a single point in your dad's letter up for debate. That’s what happens on an editorial page… no?

He did say, "initial intelligence and memory testing" should be mandatory for jury selection -- and while admittedly it isn't very clear what exactly he meant by this in practise -- whenever someone suggests standardised testing be required for, say, citizenship, or voting, or jury duty (and people tend to use this argument quite a bit), it's always a good time to point out how subjectively measured 'intelligence' is.

Standardised testing, over time and on average, will discriminate against visible and invisible minorities. The literature on this is clear. Visible and invisible minorities face a battery of obstacles when taking such tests -- English as a second language, poverty and its effects on early childhood education and future educational opportunities, and the cultural bias of test developers (which, in the case of Ontario's school's tests, were developed by an evil for-profit corporation, not educators).

8:47 AM  
Blogger Ceeg said...

Who is this guy?

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home